Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Unbearable Lightness of Being


People do it everyday, they talk to themselves... they see themselves as they'd like to be, but they lack the courage, to just go for it. Sarah was 11. She wanted to become a dentist. What kinda 11 year old wants to become a dentist. But atleast she had dream and maybe someday she'll be a dentist. What about you? Did you always want to become a computer professional. I didn't. I still can't remember that unfortunate moment or day, I decided that I would be wasting 8-18 hours a day sitting in front of something that can only interpret 0 and 1, for the rest of my life.

I dont believe in destiny, yet somehow I have evolved into this pitiful creature, that wants to leave everything at the whim of destiny. When did I become so obnoxious. Again, I dont recall. And its all hitting me now, on a friday afternoon, when I am sitting at my desk, waiting for the small hand of the clock to hit 6. Speaking of which, its Friday today, I hope I'll convince my friends to have Pizza.

A wise man once said, Everything has a purpose. But I guess I am an exception. I mean, tomorrow if I go berserk and somehow manage to escape from this mundane life, would that hinder any purpose? Ok, my family and friends would grieve for a while, 1 month max. Yes, 1 month, believe me, no one is mourned more than that. Its like an universal, unwritten law. After that everything would be normal, except for the occasional tear in my mom's eye or the awkward silence during conversations that are related to me. But beyond that, I dont think anyone would be even remotely affected. See, I dont serve any substantial purpose. Its high time that I start preparing for the MBA entrance test and get into a premier MBA institute. Then I can be the manager in some multinational corp. There, I have my purpose now. Do I? Nope. I am one of those 2 million managers that are churned out every year. Anyone could take that job and maybe do a better job. D@mn! how hard is it to get a purpose for my existence. It cant be that tough to get a worthwhile purpose. May be I need a liberator, a liberator who can realign my perception. Enter, girlfriend. Who am I kidding, girlfriends are anything but liberators.

Ok, enough with purpose, lets look at something different. Advertising, it has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate, so we can buy sh!t we don't need. We are the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

When will you learn, you are not your job. You are not how much money you have in the bank. You are not the car you drive. You are not the contents of your wallet. You are not the khakis you wear. The way I see it, you are nothing, nada, zilch! The sooner you accept it, the closer you get to Nirvana.

3 comments:

Sudipta Chatterjee said...

Jaa tu sannyaas le le... tere liye iss jeevan ka moh maya kuchh nahi hai.

P.S.- I pat myself on the back, for being the first one to comment!!

Kirthi said...

Interestingly even I feel the same most of the times.

Some people look for a purpose for their existence and some unfortunate ones who get mired in the unreal world around them don't even get to thinking about it.

In any case I agree that it does get depressing sometimes to keep telling yourself that you serve no purpose. Perhaps, sometimes it is better to remember Milton's words: They also serve who stand and wait. Better still are the words "Anything you do in this world will be insignificant. The important thing is that you do it." All I am trying to say is that we are cogs in a big machinery of our society/workplace/country. Not that significant to totally bring the machine to a halt by our absence because cogs can be always replaced. Yet important in keeping it going as all those little cogs do!

Anonymous said...

hey....
purpose for one's existence!! ohhhh ok dude!! u hv got me thinking big time on dis!!
nw starts my quest to know wht's d purpose of my existence too!! hopefully i find an answer to dis in my dis life itself!!
tk cr.
luv, koel.