Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.

Friday, January 05, 2007

The Date


Someone: Ok people, lets start the brainstorming on how to keep the mosquitoes at bay from our Library. As funny as it may sound, its a cumbersome problem. And yes, its for real!

Liz:
Taylor!.......Taylorr!! Would it sound rude if I said, I think its a total waste of time that I am here. I would rather try and convince my roommate to accompany me for pedicures tomorrow, than be here.

Someone: [long pause..... followed by a fake smile] No. Not at all.

Liz: Awesome! [Gets up from the chair. Elegantly tucks those lovely curls behind her ears. Puts her handbag on her shoulders and takes 18 graceful steps before vanishing behind a slamming door!]

Me: [thinking] Have I ever noticed anything that intricately before? Focus on the blood sucking mosquitoes, John!

Oh! by the way, that Someone is 'Taylor'. Now I remember! I sat through the entire Freedom-from-Mosquitoes brainstorming session. But those aforementioned lines are the only things I remember from the session. Apparently, my brain just responds to just one keyword lately, Liz! And before you think of the 4-letter word, stop right there! Instead its a 5-letter word....... PHASE. Atleast thats what Enrique says in one of his songs.

I like girls. We all do, right since we were monkeys we do. All the more reason to believe this is a Phase. But what should I do about the subtle signs that go against my whole 'Phase theory'.
I always hate it inside the elevator. Feels like you are on an inter-galactical journey on foot. But when she is standing next to me, the darn thing flies faster than a rocket. Talk about Theory or Relativity!
All of a sudden I am hovering over the 'Love and Romance' section at the video rentals.
Couples sucking on straws from the same glass of Fruit-Punch doesnt seem like a cheesy way to save money anymore.
Archies and Hallmarks, not so meaningless afterall.

That reminds me, lets talk something meaningful here. Something that might actually help me get out of this 'situation' I have at hand. But seriously, do I stand a chance? I mean its Liz for Christ sakes. 'Elizabeth Skarbek' aka Liz aka Beth aka Lizzie aka Eliza. I cant even give her a nickname once we are going out. Everythings already taken. Focus dumbo! Lets postpone the day-dreaming. Shakespeare - Whats there in a name, remember? Well, she is the most famous person in college, also the Student-body president and cheerleader team captain. All in all, the most unachievable girl around. There you go, I said it. Unachievable. End of discussion. 'Moving on' Phase has officially begun.

But what if I do actually have a shot. I mean, we do talk at times and there is always the occasional nanosecond eye-contact that ends with a smile from her. Some famous scientist-slash-philosopher had said some 200 years ago, 'Its better to know than wonder'. I think it applies here. Okie then, I am gonna do it. I am gonna ask her out.

I dont know how I am gonna do it but I gotta find my helmet first and get some arm and shin guards. I could always outrun her, incase theres a chase sequence. So thats covered. Ok John, enough with the contingency plan. Be spontaneous. Evolve. Let the chips fall where they may. I should practise a bit in front of the mirror. Always helps.

2 years later.

Around 10:00 pm. Tom and John talking over a couple of beer at John's apartment.

Tom: Yeah? I was a dork back then, huh? Remember the time when you asked Liz out?

John: Dude! that was like a million and a half years ago.

Tom: Yeah Right! You were so stupid. I mean you ask her out on a date for the Halloween Dance Party. She says YES. Liz says YES to you!! And just when we think there is no possible way that you could screw this up, you dress up as 'Nazi soldier' for the dance party and arrive at her doorstep! How could you do that man? How could you not know she is Jewish.

John:
I have no idea how it just didn't occur to me man. I was so overwhelmed that I just didnt figure it out. I mean 'Skarbek' did sound Jewish. Man! what are the odds of getting ditched on your first date like that. I was stupid, so very frigging stupid!

Liz: [entering the apartment]
'Was'........ what you mean 'was stupid'. You are stupid. And forgetful and weird and your life is a mess just like this house of yours.

John: 'Yours'....... what you mean 'house of yours'. Its ours!

Liz: [kisses John] Hi Tom. Long time, how have you been?
[to John]
Oh! before I forget, did you call up the plumber?

John:
I was just about to do that after this beer.

Liz: And the gas bills............ Let me guess, you were going to pay those too, after this beer.

John: Ooo! How well you know me!

Fade Away....................

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice one, dude! :)

Anonymous said...

good one!

Ajit said...

good one poddy!!
you seem like a poddigy ..
oops prodigy !!
keep it up!

Shreyans Mehta said...

Cute... if I could call it that... Would give a lotta men a lotta hope;)